REGIONAL HOUSING NEEDS ALLOCATION
• SACOG Board adopts 2013-21 Regional Needs Plan (RHNP)
• Region plans for 104,970 housing units during plan cycle
On September 20, 2012, the SACOG Board unanimously approved the 2013-21 Regional Housing Needs Plan (RHNP). This action was the final stage in adopting 2013-21 Regional Housing Needs Allocation (RHNA), a state requirement to determine the number of housing units cities and counties must plan for in their housing element updates. The most important component of the Plan is that it distributes the allocations housing units in each of four income categories to each city and county in the six county region, including the Tahoe Basin portions in El Dorado and Placer Counties. The region’s total housing allocation is 104,970 units for the plan period which covers January 1, 2013 through October 31, 2021.
With the adopted RHNP, the allocations take effect and the cities and counties must prepare and approve their housing element updates by October 31, 2013.
Attached is the adopted 2013-21 RHNP. It includes background discussions on the state housing element law and RHNA, SB 375, the development and adoption of RHNA methodology, allocations and other relevant matters.
For the 2013-21 RHNA, SACOG gathered the required data for all cities and counties in the six-county region preparing housing element updates. This information was reviewed and approved by the California Housing and Community Development Department. With the approval, jurisdictions were able to utilize the data in their Housing Element updates with no further review needed by HCD. To find the data, visit the Housing Element Data page
For further information about the Regional Housing Needs Allocation (RHNA) go to the FAQ section
If you have any questions about RHNA or the RHNP, please contact Greg Chew.
Key Documents from 2013-21 RHNA (Cycle 5)
- RHNA FAQ
- 2013-21 RHNP Allocation of Units to Local Governments
- 2013-21 RHNA Allocation of Units with Extremely Low Income Category Calculation
- Regional Housing Needs Plan 2013-2021
- HCD Approval Letter of 2013-21 SACOG RHNP
- Letter from the California Housing and Community Development Dept. re: Clarification of Housing Element Adoption Requirements