JUMP Launching Electric Scooters in Sacramento and West Sacramento
Beginning Friday February 8, JUMP will launch 100 electric scooters in Sacramento and West Sacramento. The scooters are free to unlock and $0.15 per minute after that and will be available in the existing JUMP service area through the Uber app. Uber purchased JUMP in 2018 to expand beyond cars as transportation options in their app.
To launch the scooters, JUMP is hosting two events on Friday to hand out helmets and distribute resources with safety tips to encourage safe riding behavior – including guidance on how to wear a helmet and reminders to follow the rules of the road.
- 10- 11am at Old Soul Coffee (3434 Broadway)
- 5 – 6pm PT at The Barn (985 Riverfront St)
While scooters in other cities have been popular with users, they have introduced new safety and right of way concerns which has led to cities crafting new regulations. The City of Sacramento has an existing ordinance that regulates scooter and bike share companies and is currently developing a revised regulatory framework for shared-rideables. West Sacramento is currently developing a Micro-Mobility Regulatory Framework.
How it Works:
- Step 1 – Find: Open the Uber app and select Bike & Scooter from the top menu to locate and reserve a JUMP scooter nearby
- Step 2 – Ride: Simply scan the QR code on the scooter to unlock. Put on a helmet and go.
- Step 3 – Park: Park scooters on the sidewalk keeping them out of the way of pedestrians and other vehicles.
Scooter Safety Tips & Rules
Before users hit the road, it’s important to follow a few tips and rules:
- Before traveling, inspect the scooter and wear a helmet
- “Kick off” to get the scooter going, and press the throttle on the right handlebar for a boost
- Press the brake on the left handlebar to slow down or use the step brake to come to a more immediate stop
- In California, it is illegal to ride on the sidewalk. Riders will need to ride on City streets, bike lanes, or parking protected bikeways.
- When riding on the street, travel in the same direction as traffic.
- Follow all traffic laws (stop signs and traffic signals)
- When finished with a trip, always park at a bike rack.